Quick Facts About Cows And Milk That You May Not Know
Milk, consumed by many daily or almost daily, has many factors that go into the production and consumption. Here are 5 quick fun facts about the cows and the milk that you may not know already:
- Milk is a great post-workout recovery beverage!
The fat, proteins, and carbohydrates in milk are beneficial for the recovery of physically demanding actions.
- Milk is one of the most nutritionally-dense food or drinks!
Containing 9 nutrients that our bodies need, milk is great for our health.
- On average, a cow produces about 6.3 gallons of milk a day!
This comes out to almost 2,300 gallons a year; and the average human consumes about 18 gallons of milk in a year.
- There are 7 main breeds of dairy cows!
These breeds include Ayrshire, Brown Swiss, Guernsey, Holstein, Jersey, and Milking Shorthorn. Red and White is a variation of the Holstein breed.
- Cows get a two month vacation from milking each year!
Ensuring that a cow is maintaining the correct body condition to be milked, they are given a two month gap within a year.
After learning some new things about milk and the cows that produce it, click the link below to shop for local, Staten Island, farm-fresh milk and dairy products!